Well if you haven't, it is so sad. I took this picture from their blog. They were in a horrible accident on Christmas Eve. I went to junior high with the mom, Kelly. She lost her baby boy, and her and her husband both have horrible injuries to recover from. You can read about it HERE.
I just wanted to share my story about her, so that I don't forget it. Kelly was one of the popular girls in junior high. I was not. There was this boy I had a HUGE 13yr old crush on. And she ended up being his "girlfriend." When you're in the 8th/9th grade when none of this stuff even matters. But, when you're that age.... it just seems like its your whole world. So, since she was his girlfriend, I never really got to know her. I was just jealous. I vaguely remember seeing her much in high school. I'm not sure if she was at Lone Peak or if I was just so wrapped up in my own little world, but I mostly just remember her in Junior High.
Fast forward to 2008. I was about 7 months pregnant with Brenika and I needed some make-up. So I went to Nordstrom at the University Mall. I was at the Estee Lauder counter and no one was there to help me. This cute pregnant girl came and asked me if I needed help. She worked at another counter. I told her what I needed and she said, "Hey, aren't you Katie Lamb?" I replied, "Uh, yeah." I think I gave her an awful glare (I'm good at that), because I did NOT know who she was. She said, "Yeah, we went to school together, I'm Kelly Jacob." DING DING DING DING..... Kelly Jacob. Yes, I know you. YOU know who I am? How did Kelly Jacob know who I was?? It baffled my mind for a few milli seconds while that all processed. I said, "Oh, yeah, hey, how are you?"
She immediately started asking me all about my pregnancy and when I was due and what I was having. She told me that she was having a boy, about a month before me, and that she was so excited. She told me how she LOVED being pregnant and that it took her YEARS to get pregnant. She had tried everything and in vitro was the only thing that worked. She had said she didn't care how ugly and fat she was, but that she loved every minute of her pregnancy. I told her I sort of related. That it took me over a year to get pregnant and that Clomid had worked for me. That I couldn't imagine having it take longer.
I left the mall thinking how nice she was. How lame was I that I never knew how nice she was? How did she even remember who I was, let alone recognize me. I look nothing like I did in school, let alone I was 7 months pregnant... super fat and swollen. I will never forget how nice she was to me that day. The way she lit up talking about her pregnancy. She cherished it.
I can't EVEN imagine losing a child. Ever. What a horrifying experience to have to go through. And yet, it happens all the time. It always seems to happen to those who cherish their children the most, as in Kelly's case. It just breaks my heart and I wish there was something I could do.
There is something, even small, that we can do. The driver that hit them, didn't have insurance. You can donate. Just click on the link and donate. Nothing in the world will take away the loss of a baby, but they will have so many bills and missed work that they need all the help they can get. Everyone should help.
2 comments:
I think it's very kind of you to try and help them through your blog. I like the story of how you know her. The situation makes me treasure my girls and my physical abilities even more.
:'( :'(
Post a Comment