SO....ever since she got her helmet, I can't swaddle her anymore, because she gets too hot. THEN she got that croup... and was up all night long for a few nights just screaming because she was so sick and didn't feel good, so I was up with her, rocking her and holding her.... and I hate to admit, sleeping by her in the extra bed in her room. With these 2 things put together... she HATES her bed. I can get her to fall asleep but as SOON as I put her in her crib, she wakes up SCREAMING! Some nights I can get her in and she'll sleep for 2 or 3 hours MAX and then will wake up screaming in terror. I've tried leaving a light on, I've tried putting Primary music on, I've tried having her sleep with her stuffed animal, I've tried not picking her up and just giving her the binky, I've tried letting her cry... for about 30 min til I'm afraid she can't breathe any longer. I've TRIED EVERYTHING. SERIOUSLY... I need some advice from all you mother's out there. All the people I've already talked to... have wonderful babies that sleep great in their beds. So... help me figure out what to do please!!! I have surgery on Friday and I'd really like for her to sleep in her bed by then, cause I won't be able to get up with her after my surgery. I'd like to maybe try the cry herself to sleep thing, but I have NO IDEA how to do it.... and if you REALLY think it works. She seriously cries so hard that she can't breathe. And she's always such a good baby, and NEVER cries like that. So... I don't know what to do.... any advice would be helpful!!!!
Now, I don't know how I feel about swaddling.... it might help in the beginning, but now its seemed to make it worse..... hmmmmmm.....
On a side note.... I was worried what the kids would say about Brenika and her helmet... here are a few...
Phoenix- 3yrs old- said "Hey, she has a... thing... on her, I want one!!!"
Tairen- 6yrs old- said "Hey Katie... that thing on Brenika's head, makes her look like she's going to play football!" hahaha He said it like it was so cool that she looked like a football player. LOVE IT!
5 comments:
I wish I had some advice for you! I have had trouble ever since we went on vacation and had to have Elena sleep in the bed with us. She was six months old at the time! I have started her in her own room and she had lots of trouble the first few days but she is getting better. It takes a lot of patience that is for sure! Trent will have to take over the duties. ; )
Have you tried a pillow? We started giving Andie one around that age and she loved it. We also have played the same ENYA cd for almost 2 1/2 years now. Every night, every nap. Other than that, I don't know what to say. Andie was a great sleeper - 6 weeks has slept through the night. Ali on the other hand, has FINALLY just started. She got attached to the drink in the middle of the night. Now, if she wakes up, we can just give her an oz. of milk and she will lay back down and fall asleep. Not the best think - but you have to do what you have to do - a parent also needs to sleep!
Good Luck!
I love that Phoenix and Tairen both love Brenika's helmet and are somewhat jealous haha :) Pam at my work loved it on her too! She's just freaking cute!
Well Katie, I know what it's like to have a baby who HATES their crib. Grayedn got used to sleeping in the same room with me when we were in UT for 3 weeks & when we got home he wouldn't sleep in his room, so he ended up in bed with Matt & me which only made it worse. I finally talked to some other moms and got the courage to let him cry it out. Basically, I held him for a few minutes until he was sleepy, but not asleep, then gently put him in his crib. He stood up immediatley and started screaming! I didn't even have the chance to get out the door & he was standing at the edge of the bed bawling his eyes out. I watched the clock to make sure I knew how long he was crying & if it got quiet I'd go peek to make sure he was ok. He cried for about 40 minutes the first night & then each night the time he cried slowly got shorter and shorter. It is the BEST thing I have ever done! He always cries when I put him to bed, but never cries for more than 5 minutes now. Honestly, with your first it will probably be alittle more difficult because you feel like they are crying forever, but watch the clock, do something else while you are waiting for her to fall asleep & hopefully it will work for you eventually too! Good luck with your surgery-I hope everything goes smoothly!!
I totally know what your talking about...darn us moms for making our lives worse...usually my kids sleeping problems are my fault! I am such a wuss! Well...I totally agree with Leslie! Crying it out is the way to go...if you can take it! It is so hard to listen to your baby cry. I think there have been times when I have cried right along with them! One idea that we do is have a very predictable bedtime routine. Jammies, teeth, book/bottle, song, bed. Even infants recognize and pick up on the physical cues of bedtime. When I let my kids cry it out I start by going through the night time routine then I lay them into bed. I then sit on the floor next to their door with my head bowed down. This lets them know that mommy is still near, but she won't be picking them up. For some of my kids just seeing me helped and they would lay down and stare at me eventually falling asleep. With my other kid that I had to do this with he would scream even with me sitting there. So I would sit there for 10 minutes and then leave. Eventually they catch on and after a few bad nights things get easier and easier. Both my kids got to the point where we could lay them down and walk right out! Although...sorry to say it, but we had to go through it all again once we moved them into big boy beds! Only this time they could bang on the door. We have many pictures of little chubby fingers sticking out from under a closed door where they fell asleep crying by the door! Isn't motherhood full of fabulous moments! ; )
Post a Comment