Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Brighter Side

Trent and I haven't always been good about reading our scriptures together and saying our prayers. We have our months of on and off again, but it's not always on. We decided a while ago to make it be on again. So, every night we get Brenika ready for bed and go into our room. Brenika is spoiled ROTTEN (as you know) and she likes me to hold her until she falls asleep. I always turn on an episode of FRIENDS because this is what I've done since she was born. I used to watch Friends while I breastfed her before bedtime. So, it's still a part of her bedtime routine. Plus, it relaxes me, and we enjoy watching it together. After the show, we read our scriptures together and then say our prayers. Usually, Brenika falls asleep during Friends. Sometimes she's still awake and she'll lay there while we read scriptures and pray. Sometimes I'll turn on Friends again afterward until she falls asleep.

The other night... she wasn't falling asleep after we read and prayed. I was tired, it was later than usual, and so I said... "Hey Brenika, do you want to say your prayers???" She looked at me and said "YAH!" and you should know.... that when Brenika says YAH... it is sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute. HAHA

So, I helped her fold her arms and I proceeded to help her pray. I said, "Say... "Heavenly Father"" and she rambled something or other... and I kept going, telling her what to say, and she kept repeating me! She repeated me ALL the way to the end of her prayer.

I'm sure that most people already do this with their kids, but I didn't really think about it before, cause it's been a long time since I was a kid and said prayers at night with my Mom or Dad. It was SO GREAT! I totally felt the spirit and her eyes looked at me like she knew EXACTLY what she was doing.

This is the way I want my life to be. I choose to be a mom, and teach my child to pray and read her scriptures. I choose to follow the Light of Christ and all that He has to offer me. I am not perfect, not even close to half of the time.
But I will try and keep trying and try even harder after that. I want to live with Him again.... for that IS the Brighter side of life.

PS... she climbs now.... and thinks it's oh. so. funny.







PPS.... I chopped off that mullet a while ago. Don't worry. (And then Becca helped me fix it cause I butchered it. HAHA)

5 comments:

Elly said...

Hey hang in there. I am here if you need to talk again. It will all work out in the end, and everyone will be happy!

Anonymous said...

That's cool! There are many things I forget about. I've never even thought to say prayers with Ryker. Those pics are funny.

Danica said...

Thanks that is advice I needed to hear!

Adam & Ashley said...

Thanks for the post! It was good to hear. It's something we just started doing too. Ana said her first prayer a couple weeks ago and it was amazing how fast she caught on to what it all was.

Shantell said...

There is nothing sweeter then a childs prayer. Even at this age!