So my Grandpa Meibos, my mom's Dad, has been in the hospital for 2 weeks now. He had a major stroke, and he is now in the Rehab facility at UVRMC. Brenika and I went and visited him this morning. He looks much better than he did. He still has issues swallowing and talking. He lost a lot of his coordination from the stroke. They're working with him on it. He blew Brenika kisses though... so I think he'll get better over time!
So... that got me thinking about my "other" Grandpa. See... my Grandpa Lamb died before my parents were married, so I only had 1 grandpa growing up. When I lived with Charles in St. George, he became like my other Grandpa. I always think about Charles anyway.... but now they're both stuck in places they don't want to be. Grandpa Meibos looks like he HATES sitting on that bed in Rehab. He can't do what he wants... he knows what he wants and what to do... but his body won't connect. That has to be so frustrating. Charles is the same way. He's in a care facility, and he can still get around pretty good, but it's not where he wants to be. He wants to be with his sweet sweet wife that passed away almost 10 years ago. He tells me everytime I see him that he just wants to die. He laughs about it, but I know he means it.
ANYWAY... long story. Here are some pictures I took of Charles when I lived with him.
This is Charles and his dog, Lucy. He got her from the pound after his wife died, right before I moved in. She was the sweetest little dog. She always sat on his lap. I gave him this picture in a cute little Dog Frame I found at Target. He still has it sitting in his living room now.
Charles would tell Lucy to "come up here" and pat his chest... and she would jump up and lay her head on his chest. It was so sweet. She wouldn't do it to me or anyone else, just Charles. Lucy got ran over by a car and was killed a few months after I moved home. After that, I think is when Charles got worse and needed help to move out. I really think that pets like a dog or cat help people live longer.
One day I came home from work (at like 6pm) and Charles was wearing these glasses. He had gone to the eye doctor that morning and they told him to wear the glasses outside. Well, he wore then ALL day, inside, even when the sun went down. I had to laugh to myself. So, I took a picture, cause it was just too funny to see him watching his TV with those huge glasses on. I have tons of other stories about Charles I should write down before I forget. Like the time he thought I stole his remote from his bedroom, or when he locked me out of the house a few times, or when he made my sister put a bandaid on his naked bum, or when he pooped the bed. HAHA It was definitely entertaining to live with him. I'll always cherish those moments.
I love my Grandpa's.... I'm fortunate to have them, and so glad they both got to meet Brenika. Someday, I'll get to meet my Grandpa Glen. I imagine he was exactly like my Dad and his brothers.
1 comment:
Ah, so cute. I love Charles, even though he locked us out and chastised us haha I'm hoping to go visit Grandpa Meibos on Friday. Hopefully I remember to.
Post a Comment