Friday, July 20, 2012

Read

When I first saw Beauty and the Beast (Disney Version), I was around 8yrs old.  I loved to read and I loved her Library in the movie.  Someday I wanted to have a library like that!

I also loved the part where Belle and the Beast are reading to each other by the fire during the song, "Something There."  I remember thinking that someday I wanted to have a husband that would sit with me and read books out loud with each other.


Then, I met Trent, and we got married.  He is NOT a reader.  The only books he has read were for high school, self help books, or the Book of Mormon.  (He would say that he reads Rod & Custom magazine, but really, it's mostly just pictures.)  So, my dream of reading with my husband was shot out the window.

Trent is in the car traveling a lot for his job.  It's hours between cities that he travels to, and let's face it, the radio stations here are crap.  He was getting a little bored of his music, so he decided to try an audio book at the library.  

He was hooked!  He even rented a John Grisham book, because I am always reading his novels.  He loved it.  For our anniversary I got him the Hunger Games books and he is so into them, he even brings the ipod inside and listens to them.  I laugh because he still won't pick up the actual book and read it, he wants to listen to it.  We have a few Harry Potter ones downloaded so I'm excited for him to get into those.

Well.... we were on a road trip a few months ago and Brenika wanted to watch a movie on the ipod.  So we were stuck in silence.  I had a book with me.  I said, "Do you want me to read it to you?"  Trent said, "Sure!"  So we started reading this book together.


I love Mary Higgins Clark books.  They're just a good, easy, mystery novel.  Trent was really into it.  Finding the time to read at home is slightly more difficult.  We'd rather watch our shows or read the BoM together.  We just continued to read this book whenever we were in the car together.  (Which lately, has been a lot!)  We almost finished it on our drive home from Utah, but it left us hanging.  So last night, we finally sat in bed together and finished the book!


One of those things you dream up your entire life, and then it happens!  I read a book, out loud, with my husband!  And he even loved it!  He finally understands why I love to read so much.  And I loved spending the time reading to him.


3 comments:

sourfleed said...

How fun!! Jason and I were able to read the 5th, 6th, & 7th Harry Potter books together. It is definitely something I look back on and cherish. :)

Bridget said...

This is seriously so cute and sweet. I totally want to do that with Dev someday.

Monica said...

That's awesome :) too bad my husband reads textbooks for fun lol I've been wanting to read his favorite books though.