Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Potty Training Part 2

Potty training always seems so daunting.  Every child is so different, you never know what is going to work for one and what works for another.  Brenika was scared to go on the toilet.  But after some convincing of princess panties, and sitting on the toilet for 6 hours before FINALLY going, she was potty trained after 1 day.
Dirk took a little longer.  I tried to talk him into it for MONTHS.  He would yell "NO" at me.  He did not want to sit on the toilet, didn't want underwear, didn't want anything to do with it.  Getting closer to my due date I was determined to make something click.  I decided to take him with me to the dollar store and let him pick out a bunch of toys, but he could only have them if he went on the toilet.  I told him over and over, that he couldn't have them unless he peed on the toilet.  THEN I took him to the store, and we went to the underwear section.  He immediately saw the SPIDERMAN underwear.  "Mom, I want spiderman underwear!!!"   WHAT?!?  You do?  DONE!



We got home, and he wanted them on right then.  So I put some on him, but wasn't quite ready to start.  So, we waited a few more days, and then one morning, was the day.  I put him in underwear, had the little potty in front of the tv on a towel, and asked him every 5 minutes if he needed to go.  He HATED the little potty.  He only liked the regular toilet.  The trick for him was sitting him backwards so he could see himself pee.  Plus, this makes it so they don't pee all over your floor.  It took him a while to poo, but he did it on the toilet too!  

The thing with boys, is that they pee like dogs.  At least Dirk did.  Every 30 minutes he'd have to pee, but it was just a tiny bit, like he was marking his territory.  Holy long day!  Even the first few weeks were like that.  I didn't dare take him anywhere. HAHA  Eventually he got it down.  He had a few pee and poop accidents, but I would throw him in the FREEZING cold tub and he'd cry, and that would cure him of that.

 I let him hang out in his underwear without pants or shorts on.  It seemed he had more accidents with shorts on.  Too many layers, I suppose.



He still has a few accidents at other people's houses, especially if I'm not there.  But, he's done awesome, and it was easier than I expected!!!  


Yay for big boy undies.  There is just nothing cuter than a boy in little tighty whities.  Or in this case, Spiderman and Disney undies. 

3 comments:

The Bowes said...

awesome that you are getting him trained young.....my son turned 4 on Friday and he's just barely gone all day in underwear since Monday. But he did go to preschool with undies on and no accidents. In fact, we've only had one accident on the floor....next step for me though is to be brave enough to put him in underwear through the night.

Bridget said...

Yay! Go Dirk!! I'm still dreaaaaaaading training Ell.

Monica said...

I love all these pictures haha sorry if this is a duplicate comment... I don't see the one I tried to post already. Potty training was so easy with Lily and so crazy with Alex... I'm anxious to see how it is with a boy. I'm not going to rush it at all because I really don't mind diapers haha